,

,
"I am thankful for a lawn that needs mowing, windows that need cleaning and gutters that need fixing because it means I have a home.... I am thankful for the piles of laundry and ironing because it means my loved ones are nearby." ~Nancie J. Carmody

Saturday, January 24, 2009

A Stitch in Time

I have quite a lot of free time at Mrs. O'Ladie's . I started bringing little sewing projects with me to help pass the time. I noticed that Mrs. O'Ladie had some things that needed mending and so I offered to do it for her. Now, every Sat she has things that she has set aside for me during the week to work on. Hems, missing buttons, loose seams etc... This is a lead up to write about her wonderful sewing basket. It is a medium sized blue satin covered box. It has 2 levels inside. The bottom level stores a small wooden box filled with buttons, a well worn and needle marked wooden egg shaped sock darner, and many small boxes filled with pins and needles. A sturdy plastic tray fits in to make the top level. It holds about 20 very old wooden spools of 100 % silk thread all in perfect condition. She has a small scissors with a 14kt yellow gold handle that are sharpened to perfection. I am in my glory. You have to understand, not only did my Mom show me how to mend seams, hem,and sew on buttons, she also had me take sewing lessons for several summers and made sure I signed up for sewing courses all through high school (Thanks Mom!). When I was pregnant with John...on Mothers Day, she gave me a beautiful Singer sewing machine that I still use regularly. I sewed for the kids when they were young, especially Kate. So mending for Mrs. O'Ladie and using her beautiful supplies is a joy. Quite often I think that I am benefiting more from this arrangement than she is.

The pictures are not the greatest...taken with my phone.


Box of sewing goodies. In the back and on the right are the packages of needles.
On the left in the back are the wooden spools of silk thread.


Wooden Sock darner


Measuring tape

No comments:

Post a Comment