,

,
"I am thankful for a lawn that needs mowing, windows that need cleaning and gutters that need fixing because it means I have a home.... I am thankful for the piles of laundry and ironing because it means my loved ones are nearby." ~Nancie J. Carmody

Sunday, August 16, 2009

Summer Day

We (Jim, me, John, Kate and Zach) celebrated Zachary's birthday on Saturday. It could not have been a better day. After lingering around the breakfast table, catching up with John...we packed up the car with a picnic lunch and headed up to New Hartford to go tubing down the Farmington River. (Sadly, Jim could not tube because of his knee, and Cassie because of her back... maybe next year all of us will go)
We chose our tubes and buckled up our life jackets and then launched off a bank into the river which because of all the rain this summer propelled us forward at a good clip. The sky was deep blue, the clouds were white and fluffy and the water looked like diamonds as we made our way toward the rapids. This particular run had class 1, 2, and 3 rapids and I have to say, after signing the accident waiver form, I was more than just a little apprehensive. We all made it through the first bunch of rapids (2) just fine. Laughing all the way. The second bunch (3) proved to be a little more challenging. Oh my goodness, white loud water, huge rocks, dips and turns...FUN...FUN...FUN! I went through first, then the kids. I turned around to see John's tube go airborne and then...no John. He was pulled under, recovered quickly and then hopped back on his tube. All was well.
I cannot remember ever having so much fun. At one point I was about 20 yards ahead of the kids and I heard the 3 of them laughing together and it was the most beautiful sound. Like gentle wind chimes floating on the breeze and I just looked up at the sky and thanked God for this day. It was a most special moment.
After 2 hours on the river we climbed out and took a bus back to our starting point. Jim got us a picnic table and we ate a lunch of oven baked barbecue chicken, potato salad, tomato and mozz. salad, and fresh sweet watermelon.
Such a great day.

satan's kingdom...definitely not! This was God's country...

Brothers, so sweet

Kate, ready to go


Finding the right tube

I found a good one. Full of air and not too muddy.

Ready to go

Lunch...yummy

Happy kids after such a fun day

Saturday FUN!!!




2 comments:

  1. Patti! I love you in your life vest and visor! so cute! I was at Dr Carrington's today... didnt see you, but andrew said he saw you when he was waiting for me in the waiting room.... :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great day!!! How great you all look in your snazzy life vests. How brave you are Patti Kyte!!! Love you all

    ReplyDelete