,

,
"I am thankful for a lawn that needs mowing, windows that need cleaning and gutters that need fixing because it means I have a home.... I am thankful for the piles of laundry and ironing because it means my loved ones are nearby." ~Nancie J. Carmody

Tuesday, March 17, 2009

An Irish Lullaby

Since I have Irish roots that run deep...my mother calls this my "name day". Don't worry Mom, I am wearing my green today! I hope my chickletts are wearing their green as well. We had the "traditional" dinner on Sunday to celebrate.

I have changed this post several times. This day means so much to me, so many happy memories. I decided to go with "where I came from" . I am posting a picture of my Irish grandparents. My mothers Mom and Dad. Margaret (Murray) Gay and Arthur Gay. My Grandpa and Nana. I don't have too many memories of my Grandpa, he died when I was young. I do remember that he was always laughing, he seemed very tall, and his hair was very white. I know that my Mom loved him very much, and she kept his memory alive for my sister and I by sharing all of her happy memories. I do remember my Nana vividly. She lived with us for quite a few years on Timberlane Drive. She was a great cook and baker, she was a tough cookie and always spoke her mind, she smoked like a fiend, and she sang to me. She sang with a brogue. It was beautiful. I remember snuggling up next to her in the backseat of our car on the way to church and her singing An Irish Lullaby (Too-ra-loo-ra-loo-ra). It is one of my favorite childhood memories. Happy St. Patties Day everyone!

Nana and Grandpa Gay, Daddy, Mom, and me

No comments:

Post a Comment