,

,
"I am thankful for a lawn that needs mowing, windows that need cleaning and gutters that need fixing because it means I have a home.... I am thankful for the piles of laundry and ironing because it means my loved ones are nearby." ~Nancie J. Carmody

Sunday, June 20, 2010

Father's Day 2010

I was 21 when Jim asked me to marry him. 21! What did I know about choosing a husband, a father for my children, a leader for our home? Not much. What I did know was that I was in love with a strong, take charge kind of guy, with a kind heart. Looking back now, I know that he made family his priority, even at that young age. He honored his mother and had close relationships with his sisters. He loved to be with his nieces and nephews and loved them as if they were his own children. I didn't appreciate or even realize those things then because I had stars in my eyes. I appreciate them now.
He has been with our kids every step of the way. He set high standards for himself as a father, I think because he grew up without one. He wanted to make sure that our kids knew how to handle a hammer, mow a lawn, change a tire, paint a room, build a campfire, set up a tent and so many other things. He was stern, pretty scary when he was angry, but a big softy underneath that tough exterior. I have seen him cry his eyes out over issues that we have had with the kids over the years, but he has remained faithful that everything will work out according to God's plan. I know for a fact that he does not go to sleep each night until he has prayed for each one of his children. It is also a fact that if the kids need help with something they always go to Jim. He is a man of action and gets what they need done. They know that they can count on him.
So, I may have not been old enough or wise enough to make a life choice at 21, but thank God (literally) someone else was watching out for me (us). Happy Fathers Day Jim.




Just the right mix of strong, manly man and soft hearted teddy bear.


Whether on his toes, or in his arms...a girls first dances should always be with her Daddy.





Never too tired for a wrestle,


or to give some good advice.

There was always room on his lap. There still is.

A wonderful provider for our family. Even when money was tight, we always had a summer vacation.








Supportive of every new adventure.



His watchful eyes always on alert...no matter how old the kids are.


Never afraid to show his goofy side.


or lend a strong shoulder.


He is never happier than when his children are all around him having fun. Happy Father's Day Jim!


Love,


2 comments:

  1. Thanks honey, this is incredibly sweet and touched me more than words or my tears could ever show!! I love you........

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a SWEET post! I just found your blog today, but I had tears in my eyes! And the pics of your children growing up... oh my goodness, beautiful family.

    so nice to 'meet' you today!
    Melanie
    ~ melscoffeebreak.blogspot.com ~

    ReplyDelete