When I was growing up Sunday dinners were a big deal. After church my Mom would pop a roast (usually beef) in the oven, peel some potatoes, and set the table for a crowd. An hour or so later our whole family would show up and we would sit down and share a meal together. It really was a good thing. Even when we grew up my Mom and Jim's Mom still did the Sunday dinner thing before they moved away. The whole family would be there. It was comforting to go home and share a delicious meal with the people you loved most in this world.
I still always try and make the big Sunday meal. I will usually do a roast and mashed potatoes and gravy, especially in the chilly seasons. I was sitting here this morning and thinking it will just be Jim and I for dinner and that is just plain wrong. Times have changed and families move far away from each other. We can e-mail, and
facebook and even blog to try and stay close but it is just not the same. Not even close.
I wish, I wish, I wish that I was setting the table for a crowd today, just like my Mom used to do
No comments:
Post a Comment