,

,
"I am thankful for a lawn that needs mowing, windows that need cleaning and gutters that need fixing because it means I have a home.... I am thankful for the piles of laundry and ironing because it means my loved ones are nearby." ~Nancie J. Carmody

Monday, July 4, 2011

Fourth of July

You have to love a nation that celebrates its independence every July 4, not with a parade of guns, tanks, and soldiers who file by the White House in a show of strength and muscle, but with family picnics where kids throw Frisbees, the potato salad gets iffy, and the flies die from happiness. You may think you have overeaten, but it is patriotism. ~Erma Bombeck

My flag is flying today (we fly it everyday) and I am feeling patriotic. I may just break out in song...My Country Tis of Thee and It's a Grand Old Flag come to mind. When I was a kid we said the pledge everyday and then sang a patriotic song. I know them all, but my kids probably don't (note to self...teach my kids all of "the red white and blue songs" soon before I get too old to remember them) and that is a darn shame. Do they even pledge the flag in school anymore? My guess is probably not and that is just not right. Do kids even feel patriotic these days? I still get choked up at the National Anthem and I heavily subscribe to "One Nation Under God". I am happy that I am an "old school" American. I wish our country a big Happy Birthday today!
We celebrated up at John and Cassie's on Saturday and that was FUN! I am always happy when I get to freely hug my kids throughout any given day. It makes my heart happy to spend a day with John Kyte. He is all grown up now and our time together is much too sparse. Boo hoo! I was sure happy on Saturday tho... cause I got to spend some fun time with a bunch of my people. The ones that I love the bestest!
Zach and Tina came up from Ct with us.





Dan and Tara live just a stones throw away from J&C and so they came too!


John and Cassie picked up a squirt gun for Alex and some water balloons for fun and well we all felt the damp effects from those throughout the day.




An outside water spigot and these 4 spells TROUBLE!


The kids had some fun with a bean bag game...


Pretty ladies!










My boys






Time to grill.



It was so weird and kinda nice to have the kids do the grilling. Good job!



Time to eat!






Can you see Alex's t-shirt? He is going to be a big brother for the first time around Christmas.



Time for dessert. I made brownies and Cassie made some delicious white chocolate dipped strawberries and got some locally made fresh strawberry ice cream. So good!





My favorite shot of the day. So sweet. Snugged in his daddy's arms and a mouth full of chocolate. Can life get any better than a moment like this?




Before we knew it, it was time to say goodbye. Thanks John and Cassie for having all of us. It sure was a fun day!






I am off now to prepare our meal to celebrate the day. I am sure that we are having the same meal as many other families today. Barbecue chicken, corn on the cob, watermelon, and something chocolaty for dessert. Happy July 4th everyone!







No comments:

Post a Comment