Zach, 20 years ago today it was sunny and hot. Daddy and I drove to Bridgeport hospital for a planned induction. Hard to believe but my doctor agreed to induce labor because Kate was starting kindergarten and I wanted to make sure that I was there for the first day. We had no idea...boy or girl, but we didn't care...we were so over the moon happy to be having another baby. The saying goes "the third time is the charm" and I have to say that I finally understood how to birth a baby the best way possible. Minimal drugs, relaxed body and mind. The last time and I finally "got' it.
You arrived in a calm quiet delivery room, cried a bit, and then settled down into an easy going mode and that is the kind of baby that you remained. Pure joy. My reward for going thru John's colic and Kate's stubborn streak. Your hair was so light blond that it appeared that you had none. Not even eyebrows. But as I looked close I could see soft white blond hair and that is the color that your hair stayed for many many years. Mostly what I remember about that day was that God had blessed me again with a perfect baby. I treasured every moment of that day, our first day together. Just you and me, before John and Kate claimed you for their own. You know that Daddy chose your name- Zachary and I insisted that you have Daddy's name -James as your middle name.
You came home to our little Damson Lane house and finally, our family was complete. Jimmy, Patti, John, Kate, and Zach. The first time I thought "the five of us, all under one roof" was on your very first night home and that became the thing that I thanked God for every night for many many years. I still do...on the rare occasion that it happens.
Do you know that strangers would stop me when we were out places to tell me how beautiful you were? A few told me that I should get you on TV, or in modeling. One woman told me that you would be perfect for a "Baby Gap" commercial. White blond hair and sparkling blue eyes, you were beautiful too. But apart from that, you had the sweetest demeanor. Snuggly, happy and easygoing. I soaked in every moment because I knew that you were our last. I still think that way and try to do that. I know that I hold on too tight sometimes, but it is just because I know how these moments with you are far too fleeting and poof, before you know it they are gone.
People say that you look like me Zachy. I know that must not be to pleasant for you but it makes a girl like me very happy. Never in my whole life has anyone looked like me. I still get a thrill whenever anyone says that!
You remind me in so many ways of Daddy when he was your age. Manly man, but sweet and gentle on the inside. The very best mixture for a man, in my opinion.
Happy birthday Zachy doodle. Love and miss you on this day.

No comments:
Post a Comment