,

,
"I am thankful for a lawn that needs mowing, windows that need cleaning and gutters that need fixing because it means I have a home.... I am thankful for the piles of laundry and ironing because it means my loved ones are nearby." ~Nancie J. Carmody

Saturday, March 24, 2012

Saturday morning and everyone is still asleep upstairs. The house is quiet except for the gentle whirring of the dryer in the next room. It's chilly again this morning and I am resisting the urge to turn the heat back on. We have had some bizarre weather over the past week. Temps in the eighties. One day our upstairs got so hot that Jim turned the ac on for a short while....IN MARCH! Things are greening up. The daffodils are in full bloom as is the forsythia. The air is fresh and fragrant. As my Daddy used to say..."Spring has sprung, the grass has riz...I wonder where the birdies is?"
These are our last few days with an only dog, and although we are excited to welcome Hazel, I am agonizing about what this will do to my meek and mild Tofu. So, I am making her last few days as an only dog as good as it can get for a dog. Lots of belly rubs and ear scratches. Walks outside in the beautiful weather. Extra chewy treats and yummy people food dinners, like turkey meatballs one night and steak bits with sweet potatoes another. As I write this she is here in the chair with me. Always by my side. My loyal friend. The other night I drove Zach's dinner to him at work and scooped up Tofu for the quick ride. She sat in the passenger seat, so calm and good. Every once in a while she would put her front paws up on the arm rest so that she could see where we were going. The car window was open, but she is too little to stick her head out. Just her eyes can peek over to watch what is passing by. I thought right then that I have been blessed to have been loved by a few dogs in my life (Tinkerbell, Misty, Daisy, Maude) but Tofu is the sweetest of them all, the perfect pup, the perfect fit for us.
My dream is that she and Hazel will become buddies. That after Zach has tired Hazel out with walks and playing she will look to snuggle up with Tofu in her bed. I pray that she will be sweet with Tofu and not be a puppy bully. I couldn't bear it if Tofu goes back to hiding behind Jim's chair.
I just heard the creak of floorboards above me and I want to make breakfast for Jim and Zach, so I have to close for now. Have a great weekend!












No comments:

Post a Comment