,

,
"I am thankful for a lawn that needs mowing, windows that need cleaning and gutters that need fixing because it means I have a home.... I am thankful for the piles of laundry and ironing because it means my loved ones are nearby." ~Nancie J. Carmody

Saturday, June 11, 2011

Rainy Saturday, boo hoo. Oh well...no work today and that makes everything ok.
I finally got all of the gardens set and containers planted last weekend and I have not had to water anything since then. Hot, sunny, steamy days followed by stormy evenings. Ok with me, because if you are a gardener you know that no amount of hose water can do for your plants what rainwater does. It is the perfect drink for anything green.
The yard is pretty much Jimmy's domain, but years ago he gave me a little patch out by the deck to put in tomatoes and herbs. I have seriously outgrown that space. I would like a "real" garden. The kind that you rototil every year with a white picket fence surrounding it. When I was a kid, all of our neighbors had huge vegetable gardens. Everyone. And if the family was Italian...the whole backyard was a garden. Of course everyone planted more than their family could eat...and so we shared the bounty with each other. (Mom...remember Joe's big garden?) I have one neighbor now that has a vegetable garden. Sad. No one seems to have the time anymore.
Anyway,I was feeling pretty good about all that I accomplished last weekend until Jimmy told me that John's tomato plants up in Massachusetts are 3 feet tall. Sigh. Mine are barely a foot. We will be waiting until September for home grown tomatoes.
I just love that John has such an interest in growing things. It makes my heart happy. When he has his own place, I know that he will have the garden that I dream about. Meanwhile, I have been working on Jim for a bigger spot next year.


No pictures of the veggies yet. They are just too small and pathetic right now. These are the flower beds. I just weed and mulch and it looks like this every year.













No comments:

Post a Comment