,

,
"I am thankful for a lawn that needs mowing, windows that need cleaning and gutters that need fixing because it means I have a home.... I am thankful for the piles of laundry and ironing because it means my loved ones are nearby." ~Nancie J. Carmody

Thursday, April 12, 2012

When I first started working at WSMG I was overwhelmed with how sick some of our patients were. I came from PT/Chiro and the worst was bulging disc pain. But at this job, there is something sad and awful practically every day. People are taken out by ambulance daily. I get a death list several times a week. Mostly it is the elderly, but we also see young patients that get diagnosed with awful things. This is a patients’ first stop…their PCP. They come in with stomach pain or back pain and we send them on for testing. If it is something serious, it is the end of the line for our office and a specialist takes over.
Anyway, back in 2009 a man a few years younger than me came in with back pain. He was sent for testing and a few weeks later he got his diagnosis. Pancreatic cancer that had metastasized to other parts of his body. It did not look good and all of the staff was talking about it like it was an everyday occurrence. I now know that in this office it was an everyday occurrence, but back then, I was new and it was horrific to me. A few days later this man called me to discuss his insurance coverage. He also wanted a referral to Memorial Sloan Kettering Hosp in NYC and I needed to put together a few things so that could be done. I was new at my job and this man just touched me in such a way that I went above and beyond to make sure he was all set. He was so thankful that he called to thank me and while we were speaking he shared his thoughts about his illness and his feelings about death. He just wanted to live to become a Grandfather. He was not afraid to die, but he was very afraid for his family. He said that he felt confident about getting out of Waterbury and going to Sloan. I shared the fact that my Dad went there. We had a very moving conversation. We were strangers, but our conversation went as tho we had known each other for a long time. I had no office back then and I was in an empty office for the day. I hung up the phone and began to cry. The most compelling feeling came over me to pray for this man. I began to pray. As I bowed my head and closed my eyes, the feeling came over me that God wanted me on my knees. I could not ignore it. I knew that God was speaking to me, and even tho I was at work, I got up, closed the office door and got down on my knees and poured my heart out for that man. I know that God always hears our prayers, but I felt such an amazing peace after I prayed. I felt like I was a part of something really big. Right there in that little office. I could barely get it all out when I went home that night and shared it with Jim. It was just so overwhelmingly emotional for me. I had prayed for a miracle .
Over two years have passed and I have kept loose tabs on his appointments here at our office. I knew that he was still alive, but had no real idea of how he was actually doing. This morning, there was a light tap on the door of my office. I turned around in my chair and there he was. A miracle was standing before me!!! He was a bit thinner, but looked healthy in every way! He introduced himself, but of course I knew who he was. I do not think that he remembered me or our conversation, or if he did he showed sign of recognition. I asked him how he was and he said “great”. I answered a question about his account here and then he was gone. I whispered “ Thank you God” and I sat back in my chair and the tears just popped out of my eyes and streamed down my cheeks. As sure as I know my own name I know that I have been a witness to a miracle. And I have been blessed to have been able to see a direct answer to prayers that I have prayed! I am blown away. Tonight when I get home I will get down on my knees again, but this time I will be giving praise and thanks. I serve an awesome God!


No comments:

Post a Comment